I wanted to jot down a brief outline of my diet to continue to hold myself accountable.
I am largely inspired by Jamie Lewis’s Apex Predator diet, that you can find in four parts, here, here, here and here. This guys website is VERY NSFW. Additionally, since I have had my DNA typed as being almost entirely from Northern Europe (Anglo-Saxon, Celts, Viking, and Normans), I look to follow similar diets, and so you can read about the traditional Irish diet here.
Here are some rules I am following:
- Complex carbs in the morning and around workouts only
- Heavy on animal protein, aiming for 2 grams of protein per pound of LBM
- Choose a variety of meats and cuts. My ancestors didn’t eat chicken breast at every meal, and neither will I. I mix in chicken, pork, beef, and game meat. For cut variation, for beef, I will have skirt steak, ribeye, NY strip, hanger, brisket, shortribs, etc. For pork, I’ll do ribs (both kinds), chops, shoulder, belly, etc.
- Eat a lot of fish. Fatty fish and shellfish in particular
- Offal is good. Eat as much as you can.
- Dairy is good, but since I am trying to lean out, I don’t want too much lactose. Right now, I’m eating skyr (Icelandic yogurt) and cheese (particularly different kinds of Irish cheese that have no sugar in them)
- Starches are potatoes, sweet potatoes, and oats. On a smaller scale, root vegetables (parsnips, carrots, onions, etc) too.
- Veggies are a requirement. I am doing a good deal of broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage and lettuce. Fruits like berries are good too, but due to a lot of fructose, I am trying to keep it to around workouts and to a minimum. I’ve found throwing a big pile of veggies in the blender and drinking them makes it easier to get my veggies
- Heavily season everything for extra health benefits. For example, Cayenne contains vitamin A, B6, C, E, Niacin, Calcium, and other minerals and has several health benefits and garlic is loaded with vitamins and minerals and comes with several health benefits as well
- Supplement with fish oil, protein, and creatine. In my training past, I had some joint problems (knee and elbow), so I’m also taking glucosamine